UU TVC & Research Preparations for COVID-19
The University of Utah Center for Technology & Venture Commercialization (TVC) is heeding current guidelines from University leaders in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. This message is to provide the research community with information regarding the management of intellectual property, invention disclosures and agreements during this time.
The University of Utah TVC will be fully operational. The TVC staff are currently working remotely. Though it may not be possible for the TVC staff to meet in person, phone and web conferencing is fully functional for all TVC staff members. The TVC staff will be unable to answer direct phone calls while working remotely; however, all TVC staff will receive voicemails and can return calls or respond to emails.
Researchers should continue to prepare for possible interruptions or complications in managing confidential information, intellectual property, invention disclosures and agreements.
Because of public and institutional self-isolation efforts, as well as possible quarantine of exposed individuals, it may be necessary to alter your plans. Please consider the following:
- Please submit your invention disclosure at least thirty days prior to any public disclosure in order for TVC to consider intellectual property protection.
- Please provide TVC essential contact information (i.e. mobile phone number) if you will not be available at the contact information previously provided.
- TVC works closely with other universities and companies for the management of intellectual property and agreements. The COVID-19 management protocols of these outside entities may impact the time and access necessary to manage certain responsibilities. Therefore, please make TVC aware of any pending deadlines so we can communicate them to other parties.
- Do not store proprietary electronic data on unsecure devices in order to work remotely. TVC encourages the use of University-approved cloud services and VPN access while working at home instead of storing data directly on your devices.
Thank you for your understanding, cooperation, patience, and assistance in promoting a safe and healthy Utah.
Since 1965, TVC has established a global reputation for leadership in technology commercialization. On behalf of University of Utah, TVC serves as a catalyst for the regional ecosystem, responsible for all aspects of invention management, patent prosecution, licensing, startup formation and support, equity management and early-stage funding.
Continuously increase value for the U and the State of Utah by:
- Enhancing reputation as an innovative institution
- Identifying and advancing the innovation pipeline of the U
- Positively impacting society